Friday 22 January 2010

My Grandad John






















During our World War 2 project some people who had experiences during the war came to talk to our class. One of them was my grandpa John. He had been a school boy and a soldier during the war. He fought in the British army but had to leave when he got shot. He still has the same jacket with the bullet holes today. Carla and I had to try to find the holes.

He brought in lots of different clothes and objects to show what they had to carry or wear. He had lots of things from jackets to hats and medals to old war release books.
Some of us got to try them on. He also told us lots of stories of when he was in the army. Some where sad, some where really amazing and some where really funny! One of the funny ones was:

“I was once in a field with another soldier, and we were on look out. After a while I started noticing the sound of shooting around me. I asked the other soldier what the noise was. He said:
‘Oh, that’s just a sniper trying to shoot us.’ He was in a very calm voice like it didn’t matter.” The whole class was in fits of laughter!

IZZY
Izzys grandad is called John. He got shot by the Germans with Schmeiser 9mm machine pistol. He got shot from the knee to the hip and he stil has 1and1/2 bullets inside him.
Swagger and Nonny

1 comments:

Pupils WorldWide said...

Hello Izzy
What a man your granddad is. You must be very proud of him? Send my regards to him and wish him all the best.